Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Making of Jim's Man Overboard Ale

For Jim's birthday I arranged for us to go to Saugatuck Brewing Company and have him brew his own beer. We brought some good friends to help.

I wish I remembered all we did well enough to give a better step by step account of the process.

Here Jim measures out barley to start his amber ale.





Jim adding the barley mash to the beer kettle.



Taking a break to drink some brews while Jim's beer was brewing.



Adding the first batch of hops.

Group picture.
Before beer is fermented it is called WORT. Here, the wort was ALMOST ready to begin fermenting. Jim partaking in an old German beer brewing tradition that translates to "kicking the shit out of it."

In two weeks we were to come back to drink (and bottle) Jim's Man Overboard Ale.

No comments:

Post a Comment